EDISON LABORATORY Edison National Historic Site West Orange, New Jersey Volume 1

| Kategorie: Kniha  | Tento dokument chci!

Vydal: Neurčeno

Strana 34 z 336

Vámi hledaný text obsahuje tato stránku dokumentu který není autorem určen k veřejnému šíření.

Jak získat tento dokument?






Poznámky redaktora
, TA. large, two- storied room with balconies forming two open tiers above the first floor. The library was not complete November 1887 when Edison moved his operation to West Orange. Some time between October 1903 and 1911, additional plain columns were added the ground floor and first balcony.28 Four these plain columns extend from the comers the first floor through the first balcony, and columns front the divider between the southeast office and alcove extend only the overhang the first balcony., 1887 (in 1887, WOL-General, D-87-55). The library panelled grain-painted varnished yellow pine throughout; painted iron columns stand front the alcove dividers. Although the ceiling was place, the fireplace was not yet begun, the stairs were not installed, railings were not place, and the second floor the library itself was not installed., 1894; first published 1889), 24. 31 P. The cases the ground floor are open, but several the cases the upper two tiers have pane glass doors and were used for exhibiting Edison products mineral samples. McClure, editor, Edison and His Inventions, (Chicago: Rhodes and McClure Publishing Co.29 Framed prints have hung the railings, alcove dividers, and columns since the library was first occupied.31 Edison 18 . An iron railing around the two galleries was originally planned, but the suggestion the architect the railing material was changed wood. 30 Charles Batchelor diary, catalog 1337, November 10, 1887. Alcoves filled with bookcases line three the four walls the main floor and first tier balcony, and surround the entire balcony the second and highest tier.B. Four fluted columns capped brown stone were originally installed, flanking alcoves and and rising through both balconies the library ceiling. 28 Taftto Batchelor, nd.B. Located the west end Building the library’s arched windows open on Lakeside Avenue, Main Street, and the laboratory courtyard. The north wall houses fireplace, flanked windows rising the second tier.30 The bookcases lining the first floor alcoves and the first and second level balconies were being constructed late as December 1887 and finishing touches were added the next month. Edison, December 1887 (in 1887, WOL-General D’87-55); and Voucher 81, 1888.all finished elaborately" Edison entertained visitors, held meetings and gave interviews. Fairchild and Co. 28 See figure without columns and figure with columns.27 27 J