Some the ore sample collection was also stored here in
1940. They made patterns for castings Ediphone parts.
Research Laboratory moved in. New flooring and partitions were put in.This was the one part the laboratory that continued operate after 1931, for
its services and patterns were still needed the factories Thomas Edison,
Inc. was still there 1944.
547 Norman Speiden Eckert, March 26, 1943, Historical Research Dept. Paper presented the meeting the Popular Culture Association in
Wichita, Kansas, April 25, 1983.
Building 4
The end Edison’s phonograph business 1929 meant that the experimental
and production facilities for Diamond Disc records were longer needed. This
group carried out general research functions for the company and was also known
163
. 4," also memorandum April 11, 1944, Plant
Service Department, Engineering Department Records [?]. Berggren Norman Speiden, January 23, 1940, Historical Research Dept.646 The
conversion the laboratory into museum created plenty work for this
carpenters’ shop. 4636B (not reproduced this report) shows the Tibbett
brothers.120/37, neg. Its functions included general carpentry and repair work.
549 NPS, "HSR, Metallurgical Laboratory, Building No. Berggren’s exact duties are not known.
550 K. The Tibbett
brothers, who joined Edison’s employ some time before 1917, continued use the
machinery the shop after Edison’s death and their subsequent transfer the
Ediphone Division.550 1942 this area was cleaned out and the Thomas Edison, Inc.647 A
National Park Service employee, Gordie Whittington, also used the shop the
work restoring the laboratory. Nick Foselli made cases for the equipment installed the
museum Building and for numerous artifacts the museum collection. He
also took extra work from other divisions keep himself fully occupied.649
546 Ibid.
543 Edward Jay Pershey, "Engineering Social Coups: The Design and Marketing Consumer Goods by
Edison Industries 1929-31," 13. no.
Development and testing Edicraft kitchen appliances probably continued until
1935 when this project was abandoned.548 1935 the experimenter Karl
Berggren moved one the small rooms the back the building and
worked "several new products," which might have included the Ediphone
dictating machine line.G.
The front (southern) end this building was used for storage and housed
equipment and supplies., Photograph 10