Building Chemical Store Room
Photographs taken 1939 show much more than chemicals stored this space;
there are parts machines, assorted equipment and metal and paper stores. electric grinder was moved from
Building sometime after the National Park Service acquired the site 1955.
3," 1962, 4.542 inventory taken the store room in
1941 ran 110 pages and listed 3237 items. know that because was
around here before and after Mr.645
Building Pattern Shop
Surprisingly little was removed from this shop the years after Edison’s death.
642 Minutes, Committee Rearrangement Edison Laboratory, June 19, 1939, Historical Research Dept. Three motor-driven machines
were moved from the Silver Lake plant sometime before 1939: disc sander, a
vertical drum sander, and circular saw.
643 Norman Speiden Mrs.
162
.
The first plan for this space was preserve samples the various material
stored here and throw the rest away. Edison last worked this building.
All the machines and benches, listed the 1920 inventory and shown the
photographs 1917 and 1939, are there today. Mina Edison Hughes, Charles Edison, and Theodore Edison, February
1, 1940, Historical Research Dept.543 After examination the
inventory was decided that many the chemicals stored the laboratory were
of use other Edison companies and the 1940s the usable stock was parcelled
out the various plants the Edison organization.644
This room was divided into small offices and work areas after 1941. The unusable stock was then
disposed because its continued presence was fire hazard.
545 NPS, "HSR, Chemical Stock Room and Pattern Shop, Building No.chemicals that you see these bottles and everything this place exactly the
same was the last time Mr. The
interior was divided into sections shelving with passageways running
through them. Edison was here.; see also NPS, "HSR, Chemical Stock Room and Pattern Shop, Building No. 3," 6. Thomas Edison, Charles Edison, and Theodore Edison, August 18,
1941, Historical Research Dept.
544 Norman Speiden Mrs.*'641
M1 Charles Durr interview, January 10, 1971, Oral History Project, 14