One them was tucked into the southeastern comer the shop in
1914, right angles the main aisle. The sketch that accompanied the 1920
inventory shows turned degrees.
The 1920 appraisal, the comprehensive set photographs and inventory compiled
under the direction Norman Speiden 1939, and subsequent notes the E-
cards generated that inventory, provide general sense how the precision
shop has changed since 1915., Edison Laboratory, West Orange, NJ. Binesse surface grinder from the first floor shop replaced
the Brown and Sharpe.
A surface grinder and universal cutter and reamer grinder Brown and Sharpe
were installed between 1916 and 1920 the area previously occupied room 5.C. 14-inch drill press was moved from
Building after 1939. Nine machines (including four bench lathes) were moved
to different locations within the shop. McGarvey, New York Appraisal Company, "Inventory and Appraisal," 1920; "Thomas Edison
Personal, Floor Areas Laboratory Building," November 25, 1918 (in 1918, WOL-General). that time, small wood and wire tool
crib occupied part the space.468
468 "First Second Floor Plan and Plan Bldgs.Building Precision Machine Shop, Period III: 1915-1931
As the rest the Edison complex, wood window frames and sash were replaced
by steel during the spring 1915. Both benches are the north side the
139
.
26, 1916; J.
The long free-standing tinsmith’s benches and bench tools appear have been
fairly mobile.
The most noticeable change involved removing four Sloane Chase precision
lathes from the bench along the north wall and setting them newly
constructed bench the southeast comer the shop. Comparison the 1914 photographs and a
1920 sketch plan suggest that these changes had little, any, impact the
arrangement machinery the second floor shop.
McGarvey drew sketch map the second floor machine shop accompany his
inventory and appraisal its contents.C. large (20-inch) Lindgren
drill press, originally installed the first floor shop between 1920 and 1939, was
moved the second floor 1942. Some the
cleats that held the partition dividing room are still attached the ceiling section 60. universal milling machine, and
two engine lathes.
A 1916 floor plan shows room but its partitions were gone 1920, when J.," Nov. Room may have been dismantled November,
1918, when memo noted that the second floor machine shop occupied much
floor area the one below.
Eleven machines were removed between 1920 and 1939-one single-spindle and
two double-spindle drill presses, rolling mill, planegraphic engraving machine,
table saw, cutter grinder, Brown Sharpe no