Desks and tables occupied the south Lakeside Avenue
side the floor.
This was large open space that occupied about one quarter the floor. There were also tables which the
youths could note the results their tests laboratory notebooks. The function the storage battery test department was test the
new alkaline iron nickel storage batteries which were suffering from loss of
charge.
Building Third Floor, Educational Film Studio
In 1912 the storage battery test department was moved the storage battery
factory. Battery testing equipment was placed between this
area and the central partition (see figure 137).492
492 Shop Order 1782, Notebook N-99-06-24. These rooms contained racks batteries connected accumulators and
ammeters. Some these banks were parallel the side wall
and some were positioned right angles.1.494 UnderjIJdiller
Reese Hutchison’s direction, several partitions the south side the floor were
removed and the greatly enlarged area was used Dinwiddie make films.The third floor underwent significant change 1912.
494 Shop Orders 3136 and 3137, Notebook N-09-01-29. (See schematic plan 6. the same year much the space used this department was
converted into film studio for Dinwiddie’s educational films.
More racks batteries ran down the north side the eastern section the third
floor (figures 134 and 136).
146
. 37-41. The storage battery test
department, the major installation since the early part the twentieth century,
was dismantled this time and the space the third floor redistributed. Each battery was charged and then the discharge curve plotted it
ran down.493 A
partition divided this room; the south side was the "Speaker Experimental
Room" (figure 138).)
Equipment related battery testing, such accumulators and ammeters, was
positioned against this partition.
Building Third Floor, Storage Battery Test Department
This department was the major installation during Period and occupied most
of the floor.
A series photographs taken Miller Reese Hutchison gives almost complete
picture this installation.
483 Album 10, (MRH album), pp. 1905 shop order calls for putting charging station, probably on
this floor